What Causes Slip & Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents are common, and they often lead to serious injuries that are not only costly but are also painful and require a lengthy recovery period. These accidents can happen nearly anywhere, including in a store, a restaurant, a music venue, or a hotel. If your slip and fall accident was caused by someone else’s negligence, you need the professional legal counsel of an experienced Round Rock personal injury lawyer.
The Dangers Associated with Slip and Fall Accidents Are Real
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) forwards multiple statistics that highlight exactly how dangerous and prevalent slip and fall accidents are, including:
- About 20 percent of falls result in serious injuries like head injuries or broken bones.
- More than 800,000 people are hospitalized every year due to falling.
- The most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) is falling.
Dangerous Outdoor Walkways
When you’re heading into a store, eatery, or anywhere else, you aren’t likely to be concerned about your safety. The fact is, however, that slippery and/or uneven walkways can be extremely unsafe. A dangerous walkway can be caused by any number of factors, including:
- Wet, icy, and/or snowy weather that slicks the walkway
- Ice and/or snow that builds up and is not removed from the walkway
- Wet leaves and/or other debris that litters the walkway
- A walkway that is made uneven by cracks, bumps, holes, and/or wear-and-tear
- A walkway that is joined together unevenly
Once you’ve made it safely inside the establishment you are visiting, additional dangers – such as dangerous flooring – can lurk. When the flooring you walk upon is bunched, excessively worn, ripped, cut, frayed, uneven, and/or made slick by excessive wax or polish, it can lead to slip and fall accidents. Further, unexpected spills and wet patches compound the danger.
Indoor and outdoor walkways are not the only dangerous impediments that increase the risk of slip and falls. There are additional factors that can make any environment more dangerous, and these include:
- Bright lighting that causes blinding glare
- Inadequate lighting that makes it difficult to detect obstacles in your path
- Wiring or cords that run through the public space
- Displays that jut into the public space, that hamper visibility, and/or that are unstable
- Stairs or steps without handrails
- Unsafe transitions from one kind of flooring to another (for example, from hardwood to carpet)
Additionally, certain types of jobs are more likely to lead to slip and fall accidents than are others.
If You’ve Been Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident that Was Caused by the Negligence of Another, Consult with an Experienced Round Rock Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Slip and falls are deceptively dangerous. If you’ve been so injured, the experienced and compassionate personal injury attorney Elissa Henry at Elissa I. Henry Law Firm, PLLC in Round Rock, Texas has the knowledge and skill to aggressively advocate for the compensation to which you are entitled. For more information, please contact us online or call us at (512) 766-4529 today.