The Cost of Treating Whiplash
Some of the most common injuries associated with car accidents are whiplash injuries. Whiplash occurs when the head is whipped back and forth on the neck upon the impact of an accident. Whiplash is often extremely painful, but it can also be slow to present with symptoms, which means that many victims delay seeking the medical treatment they need until the condition has worsened and become more difficult to treat. If another motorist’s negligence leaves you with a whiplash injury, an experienced Round Rock car accident lawyer can help.
Whiplash: What to Look For
The Mayo Clinic shares that the symptoms of a whiplash injury typically develop within 24 hours of the precipitating accident (not always, however) and that these symptoms can include:
- Pain and stiffness in the neck
- Increased pain with movement of the neck
- A decrease in the neck’s range of motion
- Headaches (often radiating from the base of the skull)
- Tingling and/or numbness in the arms
- Pain or tenderness in the arms, upper back, and/or shoulders
Some sufferers also experience further complications, including sleep disturbances, depression, irritability, ringing in the ears, blurred vision, and/or problems with memory. The Mayo Clinic advises anyone who experiences any of these symptoms after a car accident to seek prompt medical care.
The costs associated with a whiplash injury can be significant. In addition to the medical costs incurred, many sufferers lose hours on the job and even a diminished earning capacity into the future. The more serious the injury, the more costly the consequences. Your financial, physical, and emotional damages must all be assessed in order to adequately represent the full extent of the injuries you’ve sustained. Every whiplash injury is unique to its own unique circumstances, and total damages must be calculated accordingly.
Your Personal Injury Claim
If another driver’s negligence leaves you with a whiplash injury, there are things you can do to help ensure you receive the compensation necessary to reach your fullest recovery, including:
- Take care of your health by adhering to your doctor’s instructions regarding your whiplash injury.
- Allow your car accident attorney to deal with the insurance company on your behalf (insurance companies are in the business of turning large profits, and their reps are skilled at guiding accident victims away from settlements that adequately cover the full extent of their damages).
- Don’t accept an insurance settlement until your dedicated car accident attorney has carefully gone over it with you.
If a Negligent Motorist Leaves You Injured, You Need an Experienced Round Rock Car Accident Attorney on Your Side
Whiplash is an exceedingly painful injury that can linger and worsen over time. If another motorist’s negligence leaves you with whiplash, attorney Elissa Henry at Elissa I. Henry Law Firm, PLLC, in Round Rock, Texas, has the experience, commitment, and knowledge to help skillfully guide your claim toward its most positive resolution. We’re here to help, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at (512) 766-4529 for more information today.