Common Injuries on Halloween
Halloween is a holiday that’s fun for all ages. It manages to combine fanciful costumes, sweet treats, parties, and friendly neighborhood fun into one exciting night. Unfortunately, however, accidents on Halloween are not uncommon, and they’re often very dangerous. If you or your child are injured this Halloween, contact an experienced Round Rock personal injury lawyer.
When you and your kids head out for some serious trick-or-treating, always keep pedestrian safety foremost in your mind. The fact is that the National Safety Council (NSC) reports several grim statistics related to pedestrian safety in general and Halloween pedestrian-safety specifically. These include:
- There were nearly 7.500 pedestrian fatalities in 2017 alone.
- Low lighting plays an important role in dangerous pedestrian accidents (on Halloween, children generally set out just as daylight begins to fade – which heightens the risk of pedestrian accidents).
- Children are more than twice as likely to be killed in pedestrian accidents on Halloween than they are on any other day of the year.
In other words, pedestrian accidents are a real threat on Halloween.
Halloween isn’t just about fun for the kids. In fact, adults often get in on the action, and this means that motorists are more likely to be under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs on Halloween. Drunk drivers and the increased foot traffic of Halloween are obviously a dangerous combination.
Slip and Falls
When kids hit the streets on Halloween, they are decked out in costumes of every type. Some of these costumes restrict the wearers’ ability to move as freely and unencumbered as they normally would. This means that dangerous slip and fall accidents caused by homeowners who fail to keep their sidewalks and walkways safe for pedestrians may be even more likely on Halloween. Helping to prevent slip and falls on Halloween involves keeping one’s sidewalks in good repair, free of debris and tripping hazards, and well lit.
Any of the accidents common to Halloween – pedestrian accidents, accidents caused by drunk drivers, and slip and falls – can lead to extremely serious injuries, including:
- Broken Bones – A broken bone is a very painful injury that is also slow to heal.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries are painful injuries that can seriously impair movement.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs) – TBIs are injuries to the head that are not only excessively dangerous but are also excessively unpredictable.
If Your Child Is Injured This Halloween, You Need an Experienced Round Rock Personal Injury Lawyer on Your Side
Halloween should be all about the fun and spirit of the holiday. If instead of having a magical Halloween, you or your child is injured, you are no doubt experiencing considerable stress. Attorney Elissa Henry at Elissa I. Henry Law Firm, PLLC, proudly serves Round Rock, Texas, and she is committed to helping you recover on the full range of damages you’ve suffered, including your financial, emotional, and physical damages. We’re on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact us online or call us at (512)766-4529 for more information today.